The Mother inaugurating
the Centre in 1952







A sitar class in progress


Sri Aurobindo International Centre of Education, an integral part of Sri Aurobindo Ashram, serves as a field of experiment and research in education. For years Sri Aurobindo considered the formation of an Education Centre as one of the best means of preparing the future humanity to manifest upon earth a divine consciousness and a divine life. To give a concrete shape to his vision, the Mother opened a school for children on December 2, 1943. Since then, the school has continued to grow and experiment on various educational problems and issues. In 1951, a Convention was held at Pondicherry which resolved to establish an International University Centre in the town as a fitting memorial to Sri Aurobindo. Accordingly the Sri Aurobindo International University Centre was inaugurated by the Mother on January 6, 1952. In 1959, the Mother decided to rename it "Sri Aurobindo International Centre of Education."

The Centre of Education provides education from Kindergarten to college levels of study. It has the faculties of Humanities, Sciences, Languages, Engineering Technology, and Physical Education, and facilities for learning Drawing, Painting, Handwork, Music and Dancing (Indian and Western), Dramatics, and Arts and Crafts. There are also, facilities for practical and manual work, and several libraries and laboratories.

As its name itself suggests, the Centre is international in character. It aspires to represent the cultures of different regions of the world in a way that is accessible to all. The ideal is that every nation with its distinctive culture should make a contribution of its own in order to create a practical and concrete interest in a cultural synthesis.

The Centre has its own official journal, Bulletin of Sri Aurobindo International Centre of Education, a quarterly, which is published on the four Darshan days. It contains writings of Sri Aurobindo and the Mother, the Mother's talks and also a quarterly report of the activities of the Ashram and of the Centre of Education, along with photographs pertaining to these activities.